A restaurant chain has said it was “bewitched” by the recent outbreak of food-related illness, with customers questioning why the restaurant didn’t take measures sooner to prevent it.
“It’s a strange situation that’s been brewing for us,” said Michael Breen, vice president of corporate communications for Annapolis restaurants and cafes.
“It’s an unusual outbreak.
I don’t think we’re going to have a really good conversation about what we should have done.”
The Annapolis-based restaurant chain said it’s still investigating the outbreak but has a team in place to keep a close eye on what’s going on and what’s causing it.
It’s also working to identify any potential health risks to its employees.
“We are going to be very transparent with our guests,” Breen said.
“We’re going a little bit beyond what we were doing on Thursday, and we are going a lot further.”
Breen says the restaurant chain is in the process of hiring a new head of food safety.
Annapolis’ health department says it has received nearly 300 cases of foodborne illness in recent days.
The chain said last week that it had taken measures to prevent the spread of the food-based illness that has been linked to the Disneyland restaurant chain, a popular attraction in the city that has a total of 6,800 locations.
Disneyland’s restaurants are among the largest in the country.
It’s not known if the outbreak was a response to the restaurant’s decision to reopen, or if it began as a result of the chain’s failure to take immediate measures to protect its staff.
The city has been in lockdown for the past few days.
On Monday, the state Department of Health and Human Services said it is investigating reports of illnesses among people who had visited the restaurants.
The agency says it’s working with restaurants to identify people who were at risk.
The restaurants have been operating in the Annapolis area for more than 40 years.
They’re part of the community and have been a staple of Annapolis residents for decades.
The restaurant chain had not announced when the outbreak began.
It has not issued a statement about the investigation.